A brominating agent that replaces hydrogen atoms in benzylic or allylic positions. It is used in the oxidation of secondary alcohols to ketones and in controlled low-energy brominations. (From Miall's Dictionary of Chemistry,5th ed; Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary,12th ed,).
- Cyanamide adds itself in the presence of N-bromosuccinimide to olefinic double bonds.
- Best yields are achieved with " N "-bromosuccinimide in carbon tetrachloride solvent.
- NIS is the iodine " N "-bromosuccinimide ( NBS ) which are used for similar applications.
- The synthesis was finalized by treatment of with N-Bromosuccinimide followed by debromination to yield ( � )-totarol.
- Ganesan made use of a " N "-bromosuccinimide to trigger an oxidative rearrangement, forming the quaternary stereocenter in a diastereoselective manner.