[ 'bɔdi ] Pronunciation: "body" in a sentence
Noun: body bódee
- The entire structure of an organism (an animal, plant, or human being)
"he felt as if his whole body were on fire"
- organic structure, physical structure
- A group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity
"the whole body filed out of the auditorium"; "the student body"; "administrative body"
- A natural object consisting of a dead animal or person
"they found the body in the lake"
- dead body
- An individual 3-dimensional object that has mass and that is distinguishable from other objects
- The body excluding the head and neck and limbs
"they moved their arms and legs and bodies"
- torso, trunk
- A collection of particulars considered as a system
"a body of law"; "a body of doctrine"; "a body of precedents"
- The property of holding together and retaining its shape
"wool has more body than rayon"
- consistency, consistence, substance
- The central message of a communication
"the body of the message was short"
- The main mass of a thing
- A resonating chamber in a musical instrument (as the body of a violin)
- The external structure of a vehicle
"the body of the car was badly rusted"
- Invest with or as with a body; give body to
Derived forms: bodies, bodying, bodied
Type of: be, body part, cavity resonator, construction, content, embody, mass, message, natural object, personify, property, resonating chamber, resonator, scheme, social group, structure, subject matter, substance, system
Part of: address, narration, recital, speech, yarn
Encyclopedia: Body Body, Mind, Soul Body, Mind and Soul
The principal volume of a building, such as the nave of a church.
The part of a drill which runs from the outer corners of the cutting lips to the shank or neck.
a : the organized physical substance of an animal or plant either living or dead: as (1) : the material part or nature of a human being (2) : the dead organism : CORPSE
b : a human being
a : the main part of a plant or animal body esp. as distinguished from limbs and head : TRUNK
b : the main part of an organ (as the uterus)
3 : a kind or form of matter : a material substance —see KETONE BODY
- a'body: pronoun &nbs ...
- in a body: (acting) all toget ...
- acetone body: Noun: acetone body ...
- he fought body and soul for his country.
- his big body towers over the others.
- a brisk massage restores the body 's vigour.
- the officials did not want to release the body.
- red cells ferry oxygen throughout the body.