- Noun: board bord
- A committee having supervisory powers
"the board has seven members"
- A stout length of sawn timber; made in a wide variety of sizes and used for many purposes
- A flat piece of material designed for a special purpose
"he nailed boards across the windows"
- Food or meals in general
"room and board"
- A vertical surface on which information can be displayed to public view
- display panel, display board
- A table at which meals are served
"a feast was spread upon the board"
- dining table
- Electrical device consisting of a flat insulated surface that contains switches and dials and meters for controlling other electrical devices
"suddenly the board lit up like a Christmas tree"
- control panel, instrument panel, control board, panel
- A printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities
- circuit board, circuit card, card, plug-in, add-in
- A flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for board games
"he got out the board and set up the pieces"
- Get on board of (trains, buses, ships, aircraft, etc.)
- get on
- Live and take one's meals at or in
"she rooms in an old boarding house"
- Lodge and take meals (at)
- Provide food and lodging (for)
"The old lady is boarding three men"
Derived forms: boarding, boarded, boards
See also: boarder
Type of: cater, come in, commission, committee, display, dwell, electrical device, enter, fare, flat solid, get in, get into, go in, go into, habituate, inhabit, live, lumber, move into, ply, populate, printed circuit, provide, sheet, supply, surface, table, timber, use, video display
- A committee having supervisory powers
Lumber less than 2 in. (5 cm) thick and between 4 in. (10 cm) and 12 in. (30 cm) in width; a board less than 4 in. (10 cm) wide may be classified as a strip.2.
Short for switchboard.3.
A box-office ticket board or seating chart.
AmE / noun, verb
ACCOUNTING STANDARDS BOARD, ACROSS THE BOARD, APPEALS BOARD, BIG BOARD, BULLETIN BOARD, CIRCUIT BOARD, CURRENCY BOARD, FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD, FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING STANDARDS BOARD, FREE ON BOARD, INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTING STANDARDS BOARD, JOB BOARD, MANAGEMENT BOARD, MARKETING BOARD, MESSAGE BOARD, NOTICEBOARD, SUPERVISORY BOARD
1 [C with sing./pl. verb]
a board of directors:
She has a seat on the board.
The board is/are unhappy about falling sales.
members of the board
discussions at board level
A board meeting was held to discuss the offer.
❖ to be on/have a seat on/join/sit on the board
◆ to appoint/elect sb to the board
◆ to dismiss/remove sb from the board
used in the name of some organizations:
the Welsh Tourist Board
the meals that are provided when you stay in a hotel, for example; what you pay for the meals:
He pays $150 a week board and lodging (= for meals and a room).
a large flat piece of wood, plastic or other material:
The lecturer wrote his key points up on the board.
5 [C] = NOTICEBOARD
be above board
(especially about a business arrangement) to be honest and open:
We were assured that the deal was completely above board.
be, come, stay, etc. on board; bring, have, keep, etc. sb on board
to be, become, stay, keep, etc. sb, involved in sth:
It's good to have you on board (= working with us).
They wanted to bring someone more mature on board to help with sales and marketing.
on a ship, an aircraft or a train
⇨ TAKE verb
1 [+ obj or no obj]
to get on a plane, bus, train, etc:
The passengers are waiting to board.
2 [no obj] be boarding
when a plane or ship is boarding, it is ready for passengers to get on:
Flight BA193 to Paris is now boarding at gate 37.
An organized group of individuals within a joint force commander’s headquarters, appointed by the commander (or other authority) that meets with the purpose of gaining guidance or decision.
Its responsibilities and authority are governed by the authority which established the board.
1. A panel containing patch jacks.
2. A printed circuit.
- More: Next
- his conduct has been entirely above board.
- his business dealings were above board.
- there was a television camera crew on board.
- he receives wages plus room and board.
- 32 dominoes can cover the whole chess board.