bleeding heart meaning
Noun: bleeding heart
- Garden plant having deep-pink drooping heart-shaped flowers
- lyreflower, lyre-flower, Dicentra spectabilis
- Someone who is excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be exploited or underprivileged
Derived forms: bleeding hearts
Encyclopedia: Bleeding heart
Fig. someone, usually considered politically liberal or leftist, who is very emotional about certain political issues, such as endangered species, downtrodden people, the suffering poor, etc.
Bob is such a bleeding heart. No cause is too far out for him.
- oh, the new york bleeding hearts have made that a scare word.
- my heart goes out in sympathy and love to the bleeding heart of her dear mother and father.
- "by some bleeding heart diplomatic wife and her black lover
- "by some bleeding heart diplomatic wife and her black lover ..
- and wait till you hear the bleeding hearts.