billet doux meaning
Noun: billet doux (billets doux)
- A personal letter to a loved one expressing affection
- love letter
Derived forms: billets doux
Type of: personal letter
Encyclopedia: Billet doux
- billet-doux: n. [c] [say bilay- ...
- billet: Noun: billet ...
- aigre-doux: /egr’-dooˈ/ ( aig ...
- "' Polly and the Billets Doux "'are a four-piece band from Bristol and Winchester, UK.
- Later, he packed up everything, she said, jamming their photographs and billets doux into a box that he buried at the border.
- And he made quite a local reputation framing his fancies in flowery billets doux which stirred the hearts and the humors of readers of the tabloid press ."
- Aubrey is further dispirited by a letter from his usually complaisant wife who accuses him of adultery with a Canadian lass whose billets doux he has unwisely left about the house.
- Peggy was a'superior servant', possibly the housekeeper of Coilsfield House and Burns made her acquaintance through passing billets doux ( love letters ) to her at church.