balmer series meaning
- /balˈmər sēˈrēz or -riz/ (physics)
A group of lines in the hydrogen spectrum
ORIGIN: J J Balmer (1825–98), Swiss mathematician
- Designations from the early Balmer Series are in parentheses.
- The Bohr assumptions recover the observed Balmer series.
- The solution for the hydrogen atom describes standing waves of energy exactly given by the Balmer series.
- Rydberg managed to find a formula to match the known Balmer series emission lines, and also predicted those not yet discovered.
- Urey and grating spectrograph, a sensitive device that had been recently installed at Columbia and was capable of resolving the Balmer series.