axillary veins meaning
The venous trunk of the upper limb; a continuation of the basilar and brachial veins running from the lower border of the teres major muscle to the outer border of the first rib where it becomes the subclavian vein.
- This disorder involves primary thrombosis of the axillary vein or subclavian vein.
- The cephalic vein travels on the lateral side of the arm and terminates as the axillary vein.
- Bonderman missed most of the 2008 season because he had procedures done to remove a blood clot in his axillary vein.
- Near the shoulder, the cephalic vein passes between the pectoralis major muscles ( deltopectoral groove ) and through the deltopectoral triangle, where it empties into the axillary vein.
- The thoracoepigastric vein runs along the lateral aspect of the trunk between the superficial epigastric vein below and the lateral thoracic vein above and establishes an important communication between the femoral vein and the axillary vein.