as a rule meaning
usually; almost always.
• He can be found in his office as a general rule.
• As a general rule, Jane plays golf on Wednesdays.
• As a rule, things tend to get less busy after supper time.
in general; usually.
As a rule, men should wear tuxedos at formal dinners.
As a rule, the bus picks me up at 7:30 every morning.
- as a rule we have no trouble.
- wealthy landowners are therefore as a rule exempted.
- as a rule these materials do not show hysteresis.
- as a rule i am home by six.
- as a rule this concerns only part of the whole terminator.