analog computers meaning
Computers in which quantities are represented by physical variables; problem parameters are translated into equivalent mechanical or electrical circuits as an analog for the physical phenomenon being investigated. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms,4th ed)
- the analog computer measures continuously, without proceeding step by step.
- analog computers are general-purpose devices which employ laws of physics for performing mathematical operations.
- Project Typhoon was an analog computer developed by RCA in 1952.
- In more sophisticated versions, analog computers replaced the electronic controller.
- The implementation methods used in analog computers were many and varied.