Adjective: anaerobic `aneh'rowbik
- Living or active in the absence of free oxygen
- Not aerobic
"isometric exercises are anaerobic"
a : living, active, or occurring in the absence of free oxygen during heavy exercise anaerobic respiration occurs, pyruvic acid acts as a hydrogen acceptor, and lactic acid builds up in the tissues
b : of, relating to, or being activity in which the body incurs an oxygen debt anaerobic exercise
2 : relating to or induced by anaerobes — an·aer·o·bi·cal·ly adv
[Oil and gas]
Refers to microbial life or processes that occur in the absence of oxygen.
- the anaerobic breakdown of glucose is called glycolysis.
- the optimal conditions for the anaerobic digestion are the following.
- this is 19 times the energy obtainable under anaerobic circumstances.
- infection, especially anaerobic infection, is much more apt to occur.
- the slime layer consists of one aerobic and one anaerobic sublayer.