Noun: altazimuth al'tazumuth
- An instrument that measures the altitude and azimuth of celestial bodies; used in navigation
Derived forms: altazimuths
Type of: measuring device, measuring instrument, measuring system
"An instrument equipped with both horizontal and vertical graduated circles, for the simultaneous observation of horizontal and vertical directions or angles. Also known as astronomical theodolite, universal instrument."
- in the paper, the testing scheme and making of a aspheric ge lens that used in planar wide-angle altazimuth was described
- Most scopes have one of two mounts : equatorial or altazimuth.
- The telescope, in an altazimuth mount, began operation in October 2002.
- More recent large telescopes have instead adopted the more compact and mechanically stable altazimuth mount.
- Besides the mechanical inability to easily follow celestial motion the altazimuth mount does have other limitations.