- An administrative unit of government
"the Central Intelligence Agency"
- federal agency, government agency, bureau, office, authority
- A business that serves other businesses
- The state of being in action or exerting power
"the agency of providence"; "she has free agency"
- The state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent
- representation, delegacy
- How a result is obtained or an end is achieved
"an example is the best agency of instruction"
- means, way
Derived forms: agencies
Type of: action, activeness, activity, administrative body, administrative unit, business, business concern, business organisation [Brit], business organization, concern, effectuation, implementation, state
A relationship by which one party, usually the agent, is empowered to enter into binding transactions affecting the legal rights of another party, usually called the principal, as, for example, entering into a contract or buying or selling property in his name or on his behalf.2.
An administrative branch of government (federal, state, or local).
noun (plural agencies)
AD AGENCY, ADVERTISING AGENCY, COLLECTION AGENCY, COMMERCIAL AGENCY, COMMERCIAL COLLECTION AGENCY, CREDIT AGENCY, CREDIT RATING AGENCY, CREDIT REFERENCE AGENCY, EMPLOYMENT AGENCY, FREE AGENCY, MEDIA AGENCY, RATING AGENCY, STAFF AGENCY, TEMPORARY HELP AGENCY, TRAVEL AGENCY
1 (Commerce ) [C]
a business that provides a particular service, especially to other businesses:
an ad/advertising/marketing agency
He is employed through an agency.
a reduction in the number of contract and agency workers (= employees provided by an employment agency)
See note at BUSINESS
2 (often Agency) [C]
a government department that provides a particular service; an international organization that provides a service to several countries:
a regulatory agency
the European Space Agency
3 (Law ) [U]
the situation that exists where sb (the agent) agrees to sth or does sth as the representative of sb else (the principal):
The clause states that no partnership or agency relationship was created.
the law of agency
(*) In intelligence usage, an organization or individual engaged in collecting and/or processing information.
Also called collection agency.
See also agent; intelligence process; source.
1) A relationship between two parties; one, the principal, on whose behalf some action is being taken by the other, the agent. An agency agreement might exist, for example, when one person gives a power of attorney to another to negotiate a contract on his or her behalf, or when a bank purchases securities for a customer.
2) (Or agent). An organization or individual that provides such an agency service.
3) Securities issued in the USA by non-Treasury Department sources, such as the National Mortgage Association.
4) One bank that acts as the organizer for a group of banks lending money to a corporation.
- he spoke in the person of xinhua news agency.
- the austin advertising agency did good work.
- why do not you entrust that to a travel agency?
- he found a job through an employment agency.
- please put me through to the tourist agency.