advantage rule meaning
In games, a rule under which an infringement and its penalty are overlooked when this is to the advantage of the non-offending side
- This advantage rules out the need for human assistance or restriction in generality.
- Hayles scored in the 32nd minute after referee Mark Halsey gave the advantage rule.
- Previously there was no advantage rule in hurling.
- He's honed this skill as an underdog by traveling to remote venues and pursuing tennis success in places where hometown advantage rules.
- Referees could make themselves even more unpopular with the fans if they are allowed to change their minds after first playing the advantage rule over foul play.