- Farther along in physical or mental development
"the child's skeletal age was classified as 'advanced'"; "children in the advanced classes in elementary school read far above grade average"
- Comparatively late in a course of development
"the illness had reached an advanced stage"; "an advanced state of exhaustion"
- Ahead of the times
"the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"
- forward-looking, innovative, modern
- At a higher level in training or knowledge or skill
"an advanced degree"; "an advanced text in physics"; "special seminars for small groups of advanced students at the University"
- Ahead in development; complex or intricate
- Far along in time
"a man of advanced age"; "advanced in years"
- (of societies) highly developed especially in technology or industry
"advanced societies"; "an advanced country technologically"
- Situated ahead or going before
"at that time the most advanced outpost was still east of the Rockies"
- advance, in advance
- Move forward, also in the metaphorical sense
- progress, pass on, move on, march on, go on
- Bring forward for consideration or acceptance
"advance an argument"
- throw out
- Increase or raise
- boost, supercharge
- Contribute to the progress or growth of
- promote, boost, further, encourage
- Cause to move forward
- bring forward
- Obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
- gain, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
- Develop in a positive way
- progress, come on, come along, get on, get along, shape up
- Develop further
"We are advancing technology every day"
- Give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
"Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"
- promote, upgrade, kick upstairs, raise, elevate
- Pay in advance
"Can you advance me some money?"
- Move forward
"we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
- set ahead
- Rise in rate or price
See also: advancement, advancer, civilised [Brit], civilized, front, high, high-tech, hi-tech, late, later, precocious, progressive
Type of: advise, ameliorate, amend, assign, back up, better, climb, delegate, depute, designate, develop, displace, go, improve, increase, lend, loan, locomote, meliorate, mount, move, propose, rise, set, suggest, support, travel, wax
Encyclopedia: Advance, IN Advance, Indiana Advance Advance, Australia Fair Advance, MO Advance, North Carolina Advance, Ontario Advance, Missouri Advance, NC
AmE / adjective
having the most modern and recently developed ideas, methods, etc:
advanced industrial societies
(about a course of study) at a high or difficult level:
an advanced student of Arabic
having been happening for some time; almost finished:
The group is in advanced talks to sell one of its companies.
The talks are at an advanced stage.
- advanced base: [Defence] A base l ...
- advanced guard: or advanced guard ...
- advanced higher: noun A ...
- let us join hands and advance together.
- all bookings will be made 3 days in advance.
- they machine-gunned the advancing troops.
- the troops fanned out as they advanced.
- can i sign up for this course in advance?