Noun: actinomyces `aktunow'mIseez
- Soil-inhabiting saprophytes and disease-producing plant and animal parasites
Part of: genus Actinomyces
A genus of gram-positive,rod-shaped bacteria whose organisms are nonmotile. Filaments that may be present in certain species are either straight or wavy and may have swollen or clubbed heads. n
1 cap : a genus of filamentous or rod-shaped gram-positive bacteria of the family Actinomycetaceae that includes usu. commensal and sometimes pathogenic forms inhabiting mucosal surfaces esp. of the oral cavity —compare ACTINOMYCOSIS
- the effect of 5406 actinomyces on the growth of wheat seedling were studied
- This enzyme is widely expressed in bacteria, including streptococcus and actinomyces.
- Long term IUD use is associated with TOA . Actinomyces is also recovered from TOA.
- Microaerophile bacteria Actinomyces actinomycetemcomitans, Campylobacter rectus, and Eikenella corrodens also may play a role in chronic periodontitis.
- Actinomyces " spp . and " Eubacterium nodatum " are often recovered in infections associated with intrauterine devices.