act for so meaning
- [American slang]
1. to represent someone in an official capacity; to represent the interests of someone.
Don't worry. I am acting for the owner. I am his real estate agent.
2. to take action when the proper person fails to take action.
I had to act for her since she was out of town.
- The police resisted complying with a Freedom of Information Act for so long they had to make an apology.
- Looking back at the 1990s, Americans will marvel that a president so unprincipled and false could have kept up the act for so long.
- Thus, she maintains that power conferred on Terry and Silverman by the city enabled them to act for so long without provoking defiance or complaint.