- Noun: abutment u'bútmunt
- Point of contact between two objects or parts
- A masonry support that touches and directly receives thrust or pressure of an arch or bridge
Derived forms: abutments
See also: abut
A masonry mass (or the like) which receives the thrust of an arch, vault, or strut.
"A surface or mass provided to withstand thrust, for example, end supports of an arch or a bridge."
n : a tooth to which a prosthetic appliance (as a denture) is attached for support
- More: Next
- an area behind the west abutment was utilized as the assembly shop.
- bases which carry horizontal load, for example under arches, are usually called abutments.
- stone bridges consist of pillars, abutments and arches made up of stones held together by mortar.
- discussion on reasonable structure pattern of u-shaped abutment
- application of slant let rigid-framed bridge without abutment