absolute value meaning
Noun: absolute value 'absu`loot 'valyoo
- A real number regardless of its sign
- numerical value
Derived forms: absolute values
Type of: definite quantity
Encyclopedia: Absolute value
The magnitude of a quantity without regard to sign or direction. The absolute value of a is written |a |. The absolute value of a positive number is the number itself; thus, |10| equals 10. The absolute value of a negative number is the number with its sign changed: |-10| equals 10.
- the bars denote the absolute value.
- the absolute values of the coefficients of any chromatic polynomial form a unimodal sequence.
- class to compute the absolute value of a number
- returns the absolute value of an 8-bit signed integer
- returns the absolute value of a 32-bit signed integer