a break meaning
- [American slang]
a chance; another chance or a second chance. (Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.)
I'm sorry. Please don't send me to the principal's office. Give me a break!
I got a nice break. They didn't send me to prison.
- More: Next
- you can not go on working without a break.
- you need a break from routine.
- parallel lines indicates a break in continuity.
- oh, forget it ! do n't say any more about it. it 's time for a break.
- through a break in the clouds the moon lit the sea.