- A local computer network for communication between computers; especially a network connecting computers and word processors and other electronic office equipment to create a communication system between offices
- local area network
Derived forms: LANs
Type of: computer network
local area network
Communications networks connecting various hardware devices together within or between buildings by means of a continuous cable or voice data telephone system.
<networking> (LAN) A data communications network which is geographically limited (typically to a 1 km radius) allowing easy interconnection of terminals, microprocessors and computers within adjacent buildings. Ethernet and FDDI are examples of standard LANs.
Because the network is known to cover only a small area, optimisations can be made in the network signal protocols that permit data rates up to 100Mb/s.
See also token ring, wide area network, metropolitan area network..
Usenet newsgroup: comp.dcom.lans.misc.
- pan pu-feng, hou lan-tian, tian yan-tao and li xin-xin
- riley, do you know how to get in touch with lan
- tactics for the security of wireless lan
- dr . wong tang kit lan memorial scholarship for chemistry
- big lan : wang yao sun dangying little bee : cheng zhong