- Adjective: valvate
- Meeting at the edges without overlapping; - said of the sepals or the petals of flowers in aestivation, and of leaves in vernation
More: Prev Next
- The staminate flowers are asymmetrical and borne in triads with three distinct, valvate sepals and three thick petals.
- The fruit is a leathery valvate capsule which splits open to release several red or orange, fleshy-coated seeds.
- The corolla is basally tubular and twice as long as the calyx, divided into three lobes, striate and valvate.
- They have three pointed, obovoid petals, which are elongated, valvate, and longer, wider and thicker than the sepals.
- The pistillate flowers are longer and ovoid with three sepals forming a cup, and three imbricate petals with thick, valvate tips.