periodontal abscesses meaning
Localized circumscribed purulent area of inflammation in the periodontal tissue. It is a derivative of marginal periodontitis and commonly associated with suprabony and infrabony pockets and interradicular involvements,in contrast to periapical abscess which is attributable to pulp necrosis.
More: Prev Next
- Occlusal overload may also be involved in the development of a periodontal abscess, but this is rare and usually in combination with other factors.
- The management following the acute phase involves removing any residual infection, and correcting the factors that lead to the formation of the periodontal abscess.
- Since periodontal abscesses frequently involve anaerobic bacteria, oral antibiotics such as amoxicillin, clindamycin ( in penicillin allergy or pregnancy ) and / or metronidazole are given.
- She was forced to evacuate her route in Mongolia in 2011 after developing a periodontal abscess, but returned to her exact location when she recovered and continued the journey.
- The occurrence of a periodontal abscess usually indicates advanced periodontal disease, which requires correct management to prevent recurrent abscesses, including daily cleaning below the gumline to prevent the buildup of subgingival plaque and calculus.