periodontal abscesses meaning
Localized circumscribed purulent area of inflammation in the periodontal tissue. It is a derivative of marginal periodontitis and commonly associated with suprabony and infrabony pockets and interradicular involvements,in contrast to periapical abscess which is attributable to pulp necrosis.
- The next most common form of odontogenic infection is the periodontal abscess.
- Periodontal abscesses are less common than apical abscesses, but are still frequent.
- The initial management of a periodontal abscess involves pain relief and control of the infection.
- Over-tightening of braces can cause periodontal pain and, occasionally, a periodontal abscess.
- In contrast to a periapical abscess, periodontal abscesses are usually associated with a vital ( living ) tooth.