in ruins meaning
- [American slang]
in a state of destruction. (Typically: be ~; lay ~; leave something ~.)
The enemy army left the cities they attacked in ruins.
The crops laid in ruins after the f lood.
More: Prev Next
- she sat, cool and unmoved, with her lifework falling in ruins about her.
- when young henry came out of the navy to join his grandfather's company, it was in ruins.
- was some damn newspaper, concerned only with printing a sensational one-day story, about to lay in ruins all his work and dreams?
- the whole city lay in ruins after the earthquake
- presumption begins in ignorance and ends in ruin