- Noun: compass kúmpus
- Navigational instrument for finding directions
- An area in which something acts or operates or has power or control
"within the compass of this article"
- scope, range, reach, orbit, ambit
- The limit of capability
"within the compass of education"
- range, reach, grasp
- Drafting instrument used for drawing circles
- Travel around, either by plane or ship
"We compassed the earth"
- Get the meaning of something
- grok [N. Amer], get the picture, comprehend, savvy, dig, grasp, apprehend
- [archaic] Bring about; accomplish
"This writer attempts more than his talents can compass"
Derived forms: compassing, compasses, compassed
An instrument for drawing circles, measuring the distance between two points, etc.; consists of two pointed legs, movable on a joint or pivot, usually made so that one of the points can be detached for the insertion of a pen, extension, etc.
common operational modeling, planning, and simulation strategy; Computerized Movement Planning and Status System
1. Any of several instruments for determining direction on the earth’s surface [e.g., magnetic (mariner’s) compass and gyrocompass].
2. A radio direction finder.
3. An instrument for drawing circles.
An instrument for indicating a horizontal reference direction relative to the earth.