by and by meaning
- 1. At some future time
2. Before long, presently
3. In the course of time
4. In succession, in order of succession (obsolete)
after a period of time has passed. (Most often seen in children's stories.)
• By and by the bears returned home, and can you guess what they found?
• And by and by the little boy became a tall and handsome prince.
at some time in the future; as time passes.
The weather's sure to clear up by and by.
You may think your heart is broken, but you'll feel better by and by.
More: Prev Next
- by and by it became apparent that he had acted as my agent.
- by and by papa got too handy with his hickory and i couldn't stand it.
- by and by mrs. melbury came upstairs with a slight air of flurry and abruptness.
- but by and by he fell asleep where he sat, and pretty soon a mule fell down the chimney.
- by and by came my little puppy, and then my cup was full, my happiness was perfect.