keep in Chinese
[ ki:p ] Pronunciation:
How to pronounce "keep"Synonyms of "keep"Use "keep" in a sentence
past tense: kept past participle: kept plural: keeps present participle: keeping
- Brooke will go to keep us boys steady .
- I must keep to myself, at least for some time .
- Police kept a close watch on the vagrants .
- I kept no company, made no visits .
- Keep these things in a separate place .
- Wild fruit kept us from dying of starvation .
- I'm glad you've kept your enamels !
- Is this the way the lab is usually kept ?
- A laboratory must be kept in good order .
- He could scarcely keep in his indignation .
- a cell in a jail or prison
- the main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress
Synonyms: donjon, dungeon,
- the financial means whereby one lives; "each child was expected to pay for their keep"; "he applied to the state for support"; "he could no longer earn his own livelihood"
Synonyms: support, livelihood, living, bread and butter, sustenance, Verb
- prevent (food) from rotting; "preserved meats"; "keep potatoes fresh"
- stick to correctly or closely; "The pianist kept time with the metronome"; "keep count"; "I cannot keep track of all my employees"
Synonyms: observe, maintain,
- maintain by writing regular records; "keep a diary"; "maintain a record"; "keep notes"
- supply with necessities and support; "She alone sustained her family"; "The money will sustain our good cause"; "There''s little to earn and many to keep"
Synonyms: sustain, maintain,
- hold and prevent from leaving; "The student was kept after school"
- retain possession of; "Can I keep my old stuffed animals?"; "She kept her maiden name after she married"
Synonyms: hold on,
- look after; be the keeper of; have charge of; "He keeps the shop when I am gone"
- maintain for use and service; "I keep a car in the countryside"; "She keeps an apartment in Paris for her shopping trips"
- have as a supply; "I always keep batteries in the freezer"; "keep food for a week in the pantry"; "She keeps a sixpack and a week''s worth of supplies in the refrigerator"
- store or keep customarily; "Where do you keep your gardening tools?"
- retain rights to; "keep my job for me while I give birth"; "keep my seat, please"; "keep open the possibility of a merger"
Synonyms: keep open, hold open, save,
- allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature; "We cannot continue several servants any longer"; "She retains a lawyer"; "The family''s fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"; "Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"; "We kept the work going as long as we could"; "She retained her composure"; "this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
Synonyms: retain, continue, keep on,
- keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
Synonyms: restrain, keep back, hold back,
- stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state; "We must prevent the cancer from spreading"; "His snoring kept me from falling asleep"; "Keep the child from eating the marbles"
- behave as expected during of holidays or rites; "Keep the commandments"; "celebrate Christmas"; "Observe Yom Kippur"
Synonyms: observe, celebrate,
- conform one''s action or practice to; "keep appointments"; "she never keeps her promises"; "We kept to the original conditions of the contract"
- supply with room and board; "He is keeping three women in the guest cottage"; "keep boarders"
- raise; "She keeps a few chickens in the yard"; "he keeps bees"
- keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., "keep clean"; "hold in place"; "She always held herself as a lady"; "The students keep me on my toes"
Synonyms: maintain, hold,
- continue a certain state, condition, or activity; "Keep on working!"; "We continued to work into the night"; "Keep smiling"; "We went on working until well past midnight"
Synonyms: continue, go on, proceed, go along,
- maintain in safety from injury, harm, or danger; "May God keep you"
- fail to spoil or rot; "These potatoes keep for a long time"
Synonyms: stay fresh,
"kept" in Chinese, "keeping" in Chinese, "bar keep" in Chinese, "keeping room" in Chinese, "keeout from a place or an activity" in Chinese, "keeout of" in Chinese, "keeout of the direct son" in Chinese, "keeout of the sun" in Chinese, "keeo…down" in Chinese, "keep (night) watch" in Chinese, "keep [have] one eye on" in Chinese, "keep a book" in Chinese, "keep a careful watch on" in Chinese,