icarosaurus in a sentence
- Little bigger than a dragonfly, Icarosaurus siefkeri, as the 200 million-year-old relic would later be called, took the scientific world by storm, showing that vertebrates glided through the air far earlier than previously thought.
- With the Icarosaurus back in his possession, Siefker shopped it around, seeking $ 5 million, said David Herskowitz, a natural history specialist for California-based Butterfield & Butterfield, which is handling next month's auction.
- Mark B . Goodwin, a vertebrate paleontologist and principal scientist at the Museum of Paleontology in Berkeley, blasted any sale of the Icarosaurus as a " highly unethical event that will only increase commercialization and encourage the theft of fossils from museums ."
- ""'Icarosaurus " "'( meaning " Icarus lizard " ) is an extinct genus of kuehneosaurid reptile from the Late Triassic ( Carnian age ) Lower Lockatong Formation of New Jersey, dated to around 228 million years ago.
- This lizard-like animal was able to spread its ribs and glide on wing-like membranes . " Mecistotrachelos " had a much longer neck than other gliding reptiles of the Triassic such as " Icarosaurus " and " Kuehneosaurus ".
- The oldest and most primitive known member is " Pamelina " from the Early Triassic ( Olenekian stage ) of Poland . " Icarosaurus ", which is known from a single specimen from Carnian-aged Lockatong Formation of New Jersey, is basal to more advanced kuehneosaurids.
- Paleontologist Kevin Padian, coeditor of the Dinosaur Encyclopedia, said objects like the Icarosaurus fossil should belong to everyone . " Professional scientists are constantly trying to protect these things for future generations, " he said, " and yet objects like this one often wind up on someone's mantelpiece where they can never be cared for professionally, or shown to students, and then they become completely lost to science ."