Noun: storage storij
- The act of storing something
- A depository for goods
- storehouse, depot, entrepot, store
- The commercial enterprise of storing goods and materials
- (computer science) the process of storing information in a computer memory or on a magnetic tape or disk
- An electronic memory device
- memory, computer memory, computer storage, store, memory board
- Depositing in a warehouse
"my car is in storage"
- repositing, reposition, warehousing
Derived forms: storages
See also: store
Type of: business, business enterprise, commercial enterprise, computer hardware, computer operation, deposit, depositary, deposition, depository, hardware, holding, keeping, machine operation, memory device, repository, retention, storage device
Part of: computer, computing device, computing machine, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system
the process of keeping sth in a particular place until it is needed; the space where things can be kept:
The goods are in storage, waiting to be shipped.
We need to cut our storage costs.
Just-in-time manufacturing reduces the need for storage space.
The oil terminal has a storage capacity of 5 million barrels.
❖ long-term/short-term storage
◆ a storage depot/facility a storage bin/box/container/tank/unit
2 (IT )
the process of keeping information on a computer; how it is kept:
The hard disk has a storage capacity of 50 gigabytes.
50 megabytes of storage space
❖ computer/data/document/information storage
◆ storage devices/hardware/media/software/units