Synonyms of "pawn""pawn" in a sentence
- Noun: pawn pon
Verb: pawn pon
- An article deposited as security
- A person used by another to gain an end
- instrument, cat's-paw
- (chess) the least powerful piece; moves only forward and captures only to the side; it can be promoted to a more powerful piece if it reaches the 8th rank
- Borrowing and leaving an article as security for repayment of the loan
- Leave as a guarantee in return for money
"pawn your grandfather's gold watch"
- soak, hock
Sounds like: porn
Derived forms: pawning, pawned, pawns
Type of: assistant, borrowing, charge, chess piece, chessman, consign, help, helper, pledge, supporter
A covered passageway or gallery.
■ verb [+ obj]
to leave an item with a person who lends money in exchange for it (a pawnbroker). If the money is paid back within an agreed period of time, the item is returned to the owner, but if not, the item can be sold:
Nobody would lend him money, so he pawned his gold watch.
if sth is in pawn, it has been pawned:
All her jewellery was in pawn.
out of pawn
if you get or take sth out of pawn, you pay back the money you owe and get back the item that has been pawned
- He tried by every means to redeem the pawn.
- He had no way to redeem his furniture out of pawn.
- He demanded her wristwatch as a pawn for the loan.
- Are you going to pawn it?
- Did you leave your eyes in pawn in some wine-shop?
- My watch is at pawn.
- The slovaks, who had been used as a pawn by germany, obtained a precarious autonomy.
- Don't continue to be a pawn of the jedi council
- By the way, i'd suggest sacrificing this pawn
- Man 1 speaking french the pawn ofan obscure coalition
What is the meaning of pawn and how to define pawn in English? pawn meaning, what does pawn mean in a sentence? pawn meaning
, translation, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by eng.ichacha.net.