Noun: machine mu'sheen
Verb: machine mu'sheen
- Any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks
- An efficient person
"the boxer was a magnificent fighting machine"
- An intricate organization that accomplishes its goals efficiently
"the war machine"
- A device for overcoming resistance at one point by applying force at some other point
- simple machine
- A group that controls the activities of a political party
"he was endorsed by the Democratic machine"
- political machine
- A motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine
- car, auto, automobile, motorcar
- Turn, shape, mould, or otherwise finish by machinery
- Make by machinery
"The Americans were machining while others still hand-made cars"
Derived forms: machining, machines, machined
See also: machinery, machinist
Type of: automotive vehicle, create, device, forge, form, individual, make, mechanical device, mold [N. Amer], mortal, motor vehicle, mould [Brit, Cdn], organisation [Brit], organization, person, produce, shape, somebody, someone, soul, work
ANSWERING MACHINE, CASH MACHINE, DICTATION MACHINE, MAILING MACHINE, TAPE MACHINE, TICKER-TAPE MACHINE, VENDING MACHINE
1 [C] (often used in compounds)
a piece of equipment with moving parts that is designed to do a particular job and uses electricity, gas, wind power, etc. in order to operate:
a drilling/copying machine
How does this machine work?
The machine runs on solar power.
The stone is cut by machine.
a machine operator
⇨ FAX noun (1)
a heavy/large/powerful machine
◆ to install/service a machine
◆ to operate/run/start/stop/use a machine
◆ a machine breaks down/runs/works
a particular machine, when you do not refer to it by its full name, especially a computer:
The software will run on most desktop machines.
Can I borrow some money-the machine is out of cash
(= the cash machine)?
3 [C, usually sing.]
a group of people that control an organization or part of an organization:
the company's marketing machine
■ verb [+ obj]
to make or shape sth with a machine:
This material can be cut and machined easily.
We machine the part from a single piece of aluminium.
machining noun [U]:
the precision machining of aircraft parts