lie in meaning
Synonyms of "lie in""lie in" in a sentence
- 1. lie in BrE to stay in bed in the morning later than usual, in order to have a rest:
▪ Don't wake me up tomorrow morning. I'm going to lie in.
■ SIMILAR TO: sleep in
lie-in n singular BrE informal if you have a lie-in, you stay in bed in the morning for longer than usual in order to have a rest:
▪ On Sunday mornings we usually have a lie-in.
2. lie in sth not passive if a particular quality lies in something, the quality exists in it or as a result of it:
▪ Our company's strength lies in its excellent range of good quality products.
▪ The charm of the painting lay in its simplicity.
■ SIMILAR TO: reside in formal
[for a woman] to lie in bed awaiting the birth of her child.
The child is due soon, and the mother is lying in at the present time.
She did not lie in at all. She worked right up to the onset of labor pains.
- I could not lie in her pure face.
- It is a holiday tomorrow, so you can lie in.
- I gave him the lie in his throat.
- She made her bed, let her lie in it.
- Does our only hope of survival lie in disarmament?
- All their hopes lie in him.
- She threw the lie in his face.
- Keys no more lie in the air, or float on the water.
- She let her hand lie in his a moment, smiling up at him adorably.
- Only the blind can realized the manifold blessings that lie in sight.
What is the meaning of lie in and how to define lie in in English? lie in meaning, what does lie in mean in a sentence? lie in meaning
，lie in definition
, translation, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by eng.ichacha.net.