Synonyms of "inhibit""inhibit" in a sentence
- Verb: inhibit in'hibit
- To put down by force or authority
- suppress, stamp down, subdue, conquer, curb
- Limit the range or extent of
"Contact between the young was inhibited by strict social customs"
- Limit, block, or decrease the action or function of
"inhibit the action of the enzyme"; "inhibit the rate of a chemical reaction"
- Control and refrain from showing; of emotions, desires, impulses, or behaviour
- bottle up, suppress
Derived forms: inhibits, inhibiting, inhibited
See also: inhibition, inhibitor, inhibitory
Type of: bound, check, confine, contain, control, curb, hinder, hold, hold back, hold in, impede, keep, keep back, limit, moderate, restrain, restrict, throttle, trammel
1. In digital computer and logic operations, to prevent an action or block the input of data by means of a pulse.
2. To delay an action or process.
a : to restrain from free or spontaneous activity esp. through the operation of inner psychological or external social constraints an inhibited person
b : to check or restrain the force or vitality of inhibit aggressive tendencies
a : to reduce or suppress the activity of a presynaptic neuron can not only excite a postsynaptic neuron but can also inhibit it —H. W. Kendler
b : to retard or prevent the formation of
c : to retard, interfere with, or prevent (a process or reaction) inhibit ovulation
- A continuously open wound inhibits anabolism.
- Infection inhibits the regenerative power of the bone marrow.
- Higher salt concentrations alone may inhibit ion uptake.
- Aryl disulfides, for example, inhibit polyolefin oxidation.
- The use of wax to inhibit ozone deterioration probably goes back to 1881.
- Antibodies were used in the macrophage system to inhibit cathepsin d.
- Many surgical complications and disease processes inhibit normal nitrogen anabolism.
- The ability of humoral antibodies to inhibit tumor growth varies with different cell types.
- Tungstate competitively inhibits the utilization of molybdenum for the formation of xanthine dehydrogenases.
- Industrial countries tend to support domestic production and thereby inhibit imports and encourage exports.
What is the meaning of inhibit and how to define inhibit in English? inhibit meaning, what does inhibit mean in a sentence? inhibit meaning
, translation, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by eng.ichacha.net.