bring down upon meaning
- bring down upon
! Bring down upon is more formal than bring down on and is mostly used in writing.
bring sth down on/upon sb • bring down sth on/upon sb formal to make something bad happen to someone, especially yourself or your family, by behaving in a particular way:
▪ His behaviour has brought down shame on all his family.
▪ The demonstrators brought down upon themselves the anger of the military government.
■ SIMILAR TO: bring on/upon
- Lupo, however, did not desire to bring down upon himself the wrath of the Frankish kings and handed Hunald, along with his wife, over to Charlemagne.
- The mayor of Calais, Natacha Bouchart, threatened in September 2014 to block the port because, although it was an illegal action and would bring down upon her lawsuits and opprobrium, she thought it would send a " strong message " to the UK authorities . and in July 2015, " The Telegraph " reported that the current jungle had 3, 000 inhabitants.
- They advised Lot to leave the place during the night and not look back, informing him that his wife would be left behind on account of her sinful nature and that they " were about to bring down upon the folk of this township a fury from the sky because they are evil-doers " . putting an end to the lives of the people of Sodom and Gomorrah once and for all.
- The narrator resists joining this expedition, even when his guide points out the family resemblance on his mask-like face, and shows him a watch with his family's arms that he recognizes as having " been buried with my great-great-great-great-grandfather in 1698 . " When a sudden effort to control one of the mounts " dislodged the waxen mask from what should have been his head ", the narrator throws himself into the river " before the madness of my screams could bring down upon me all the charnel legions these pest-gulfs might conceal ."
What is the meaning of bring down upon and how to define bring down upon in English? bring down upon meaning, what does bring down upon mean in a sentence? bring down upon meaning
，bring down upon definition
, translation, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by eng.ichacha.net.