Noun: analysis (analyses) u'nalusis
- An investigation of the component parts of a whole and their relations in making up the whole
- The abstract separation of a whole into its constituent parts in order to study the parts and their relations
- analytic thinking
- A form of literary criticism in which the structure of a piece of writing is analysed
- The use of closed-class words instead of inflections: e.g., 'the father of the bride' instead of 'the bride's father'
- A branch of mathematics involving calculus and the theory of limits; sequences and series and integration and differentiation
- A set of techniques for exploring underlying motives and a method of treating various mental disorders; based on the theories of Sigmund Freud
- psychoanalysis, depth psychology
See also: analytic, analytical, analyze [N. Amer]
Type of: abstract thought, calculus, criticism, expressive style, infinitesimal calculus, investigating, investigation, literary criticism, logical thinking, psychotherapy, reasoning, style
noun [C,U] (plural analyses //)
BENEFIT-COST ANALYSIS, BREAK-EVEN ANALYSIS, CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS, CLUSTER ANALYSIS, COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS, COMPETITOR ANALYSIS, COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS, CREDIT ANALYSIS, CRITICAL PATH ANALYSIS, ENVIRONMENTAL ANALYSIS, EXTERNAL ANALYSIS, FORCE FIELD ANALYSIS, GAP ANALYSIS, HANDWRITING ANALYSIS, JOB ANALYSIS, LIFE-CYCLE ANALYSIS, NETWORK ANALYSIS, PARETO ANALYSIS, PEST ANALYSIS, RATIO ANALYSIS, RISK ANALYSIS, SALES ANALYSIS, SENSITIVITY ANALYSIS, SITUATION ANALYSIS, STEP ANALYSIS, STRATEGIC ANALYSIS, STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS, TRAINING NEEDS ANALYSIS, VALUE ANALYSIS, VALUE-STREAM ANALYSIS
the detailed study or examination of sth, in order to find answers to particular questions; the results of the study:
a detailed analysis of each customer's buying habits
We have carried out a preliminary analysis of potential takeover targets.
She is head of economic analysis at a top investment bank.
The firm has a good reputation for analysis of the oil industry.
Click here for more comment and analysis on today's top stories.
⇨ FINANCIAL ANALYST
(a) detailed/in-depth/thorough analysis
◆ business/economic/industry/market analysis
◆ to carry out/do/undertake (an) analysis