Synonyms of "accelerate""accelerate" in a sentence
- Verb: accelerate ak'selu`reyt
- Move faster
"The car accelerated"
- speed up, speed, quicken
- Cause to move faster
"He accelerated the car"
- speed, speed up
Derived forms: accelerating, accelerated, accelerates
See also: acceleration, accelerator, acceleratory
Type of: alter, change, deepen, intensify, modify
1 [+ obj or no obj]
to happen or to make sth happen faster or earlier than expected:
Technological change is accelerating.
Job losses have accelerated in the last two months.
The company has announced it is accelerating its cost-cutting programme.
2 [no obj]
(about the economy) to increase in activity so that demand for goods increases:
Will consumption slow before the global economy starts to accelerate?
3 (Finance ) [+ obj]
to demand that a debt is paid back at once or more quickly than first agreed, because the person who has borrowed the money has failed to make regular payments:
Their major investor is now seeking to accelerate the loan.
acceleration // noun [sing; U]:
a sharp acceleration in the rate of economic growth
the acceleration of technological progress
vb -at·ed; -at·ing vt : to cause to move faster or speed up accelerated speech and motor activity in manic patients; also : to cause to undergo acceleration
¦ vi : to move faster : gain speed
- The diffusion process seems to be accelerating.
- An expansion wave in accelerating flow broadens.
- Degradation is accelerated following leaf detachment.
- The end would be accelerated growth.
- The sale of offices was accelerated.
- The heart rate is regularly accelerated and then retarded.
- Let 's accelerate the speed of our community construction.
- I will not recommend you for accelerated promotion at this point.
- accelerated beams of deuterons bombarding a target will not work.
- The particle will accelerate under the action of the applied force.
What is the meaning of accelerate and how to define accelerate in English? accelerate meaning, what does accelerate mean in a sentence? accelerate meaning
, translation, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by eng.ichacha.net.