case in Chinese
[ keis ] Pronunciation:
How to pronounce "case"Synonyms of "case""case" in a sentence"case" meaning
past tense: cased past participle: cased present participle: casing present tense: cases
- That's part of my case against marriage .
- Latin nouns have case , number and gender .
- The principle is inapplicable to the case .
- In case it should rain , do n't expect me .
- She argued her side of the case well .
- The case will come on for trial tomorrow .
- I thought it a case of some delicacy .
- Your case is coming up for review in may .
- The rule does not hold good in this case .
- This proposal of yours hardly meets the case .
- a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy; "the family brought suit against the landlord"
Synonyms: lawsuit, suit, cause, causa,
- a portable container for carrying several objects; "the musicians left their instrument cases backstage"
- a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home
Synonyms: display case, showcase, vitrine,
- bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow; "the burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase"
Synonyms: pillowcase, slip, pillow slip,
- (printing) the receptacle in which a compositor has his type, which is divided into compartments for the different letters, spaces, or numbers; "for English, a compositor will ordinarily have two such cases, the upper case containing the capitals and the lower case containing the small letters"
Synonyms: compositor''s case, typesetter''s case,
- the enclosing frame around a door or window opening; "the casings had rotted away and had to be replaced"
- the housing or outer covering of something; "the clock has a walnut case"
Synonyms: shell, casing,
- an enveloping structure or covering enclosing an animal or plant organ or part
- the actual state of things; "that was not the case"
- nouns or pronouns or adjectives (often marked by inflection) related in some way to other words in a sentence
Synonyms: grammatical case,
- a statement of facts and reasons used to support an argument; "he stated his case clearly"
- a problem requiring investigation; "Perry Mason solved the case of the missing heir"
- a specific size and style of type within a type family
Synonyms: font, fount, typeface, face,
- an occurrence of something; "it was a case of bad judgment"; "another instance occurred yesterday"; "but there is always the famous example of the Smiths"
Synonyms: instance, example,
- a person requiring professional services; "a typical case was the suburban housewife described by a marriage counselor"
- a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities); "a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case"
Synonyms: character, eccentric, type,
- a person who is subjected to experimental or other observational procedures; someone who is an object of investigation; "the subjects for this investigation were selected randomly"; "the cases that we studied were drawn from two different communities"
Synonyms: subject, guinea pig,
- the quantity contained in a case
- a special set of circumstances; "in that event, the first possibility is excluded"; "it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
- a specific state of mind that is temporary; "a case of the jitters"
- enclose in, or as if in, a case; "my feet were encased in mud"
Synonyms: encase, incase,
- look over, usually with the intention to rob; "They men cased the housed"