oakum in a sentence
- These included breaking stones, operating a water pump, and oakum picking.
- Female prisoners picked oakum, knitted stockings or sewed.
- This labour included the picking of oakum, rock breaking and wood chopping.
- Jeremy Easson of New Oakum, England, finished sixth in a Mitsubishi Evolution.
- Boats carried oakum and chisels to patch leaks.
- Picking oakum was a common occupation in Victorian times in British prisons and workhouses.
- Hard labour included rock breaking and oakum picking.
- The cause of her sinking was likely the loosening of oakum in her seams.
- In prison, Wilde picked oakum and dedicated himself to the task of learning humility.
- The gaps in these joints were sealed with oakum to prevents the water leaking out.
- Originally rope or oakum packing was used.
- In modern times, the fibrous material used in oakum comes from virgin hemp or jute.
- Caulking was made from the pitch of pine trees, and palmetto leaves were used as oakum.
- Next he started an oakum manufactory, probably to help a brother, but it did not prosper.
- If it is fairly large, use oakum, an oily rope-type material you can stuff in.
- Found in the cracks of the floorboards were needles, pins, thimbles, oakum, string and buttons.
- Old rope was also hung up, to provide oakum for closing up the seams between ships'boards.
- The oakum extracted was for use on navy ships, and the instructor said that they were serving the country.
- Because of colonial and naval expansion of the era, economies needed large quantities of hemp for rope and oakum.
- A molten-lead joint was then run around the socket to ensure that the oakum seal remained in place.