earless seal in a sentence
- Other than occasional vagrants, among the seals only the Phocidae, or earless seals, are represented.
- Similar body shapes are found in the earless seals and the eared seals : they still have four legs, but these are strongly modified for swimming.
- This is the main method used by molluscs such as slugs and snails, and also large flatworms, some other worms, and even earless seals.
- Together, they are known as the " eared seals " or " otariids ", and are distinguished from the " true seals " or " earless seals " in the family Phocidae.
- :Family Phocidae ( true or earless seals ) consists of around 19 species of highly aquatic, barrel-shaped animals ranging from and in length ( the ringed seal ), to and ( southern elephant seal ).
- The "'Caspian seal "'( " Pusa caspica " ) is one of the smallest members of the earless seal family and unique in that it is found exclusively in the brackish Caspian Sea.
- As opposed to " Hesperornis " which almost certainly had to slide on its belly or galumph like an earless seal, " Baptornis "'s lower leg was not as firmly placed along the body sides.
- I suppose it's an earless seal of some sort, but I think this image would be a nice addition to the relevant species article .-- "'lee 17 : 24, 12 September 2007 ( UTC)
- Eagle-Eared Seal-Earless Seal-Earthworm-Earwig-Eastern Cougar-Eastern Mole-Echidna-Echinoderm-Eel-Eelpout-Egret-Elephant-Elephant Seal-Elephant Shrew-Elk-Emperor Penguin-Emu-Endangered Specy-Ermine
- The earless seals ( Phocidae ) swim by moving their hind-flippers and lower body from side to side, while their fore-flippers are mainly used for steering . when confronted with predators, they retreat to the water as freshwater phocids have no aquatic predators.
- "' Pinnipeds "'are flippered marine mammals belonging to three related families in the order Carnivora, the Phocidae ( earless seals or true seals ), the Otariidae ( eared seals, including sea lions and fur seals ), and Odobenidae ( walrus ).
- On August 25, 1818, the Argentine government, then called the United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata, granted the first concessions for hunting earless seals and penguins territories for the Antarctic continent to Juan Pedro de Aguirre, who operated the ship " Esp韗itu Santo " based on Deception Island, the largest of the South Shetland Islands.
- "' Monk seals "'are earless seals of the genera of monk seals, " Monachus " and " Neomonachus ", comprising three species : the Mediterranean monk seal, " Monachus monachus "; the Hawaiian monk seal, " Neomonachus schauinslandi "; and the Caribbean monk seal, " Neomonachus tropicalis ", which became extinct in the 20th century.
- The chemicals are speculated to concentrate up the food chain and weaken the Baikal seal's immune system, making them susceptible to diseases such as canine distemper and the plague, which was the cause of a serious Baikal seal epidemic that resulted in the deaths of thousands of animals in 1997 and 1999 . Baikal seal pups have higher levels of DDT and PCB than known in any other population of European or Arctic earless seal.
- The superfamily Canoidea ( or suborder Caniformia ) Canidae ( wolves, dogs and foxes ), Mephitidae ( skunks and stink badgers ), Mustelidae ( weasels, badgers, and otters ), Procyonidae ( raccoons ), Ursidae ( bears ), Ailuridae ( red panda ), Otariidae ( eared seals ), Odobenidae ( walrus ), and Phocidae ( earless seals ) ( the last three families formerly classified in the superfamily Pinnipedia ) and the extinct family Amphicyonidae ( bear-dogs ) are characterized by having nonchambered or partially chambered auditory bullae, nonretractable claws, and a well-developed baculum.