ear ossicles in a sentence
- The middle-ear ossicles further amplify the vibration pressure roughly 20 times.
- Air pressure changes in the ear canal cause the vibrations of the tympanic membrane and middle ear ossicles.
- Some species also have hypertrophied middle ear ossicles, in particular the malleus, which apparently is adapted towards the detection of seismic vibrations.
- The material can be used in inner ear ossicles, ocular prostheses, electrical insulation for pacemakers, catheter orifices and in numerous prototypes of implantable systems such as cardiac pumps.
- With otospongiosis, the normally dense enchondral bone is replaced by haversian bone, a spongy and vascular matrix that results in sensorineural hearing loss due to compromise of the conductive capacity of the inner ear ossicles.
- Like Erik Jarvik, he has argued that the three ear ossicles of mammals can be derived from components of the hyoid branchial arch of osteolepiforms rather than from both the mandibular and hyoid arches as claimed by the Reichert Gaupp theory.
- The Woodland jumping mouse was originally classified as " Zapus insignis " in 1891, but differences detected in dental morphology, ear ossicles, and the baculum resulted in the creation of two new genera, " Napaeozapus " and " Euzapus ".
- It has been suggested that a relatively large trough in the jaw bone of the early Cretaceous monotreme " Teinolophos " provides evidence of a pre-mammalian jaw joint, because therapsids and many mammaliforms had such troughs, in which the articular and angular bones " docked ", and therefore that " Teinolophos " had a pre-mammalian middle ear; and therefore that the mammalian middle ear ossicles evolved independently in monotremes and in other mammals.
- Furthermore, the primitive reptile-like jaw joint between the articular and quadrate bones, which in modern mammals has moved into the middle ear and become part of the ear ossicles as malleus and incus, is still to be found in " Morganucodon " . " Morganucodon " also suckled ( it may have been the earliest animal to do so ), had only two sets of teeth and grew rapidly to adult size and stopped growing thereafter, all typical mammalian traits.